Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Tailor Made... yeah right


Recently I read an article in Esquire magazine, one of my favorites, that spoke on the rules for purchasing a suit. Upon reading the title, I continued with the body of the article hoping for an elaborate detailed list of things to look out for when purchasing that quality suit. I received the following.


1. When in doubt go with 2 button
2. Beware of the saleperson on commision
3. No two suits are cut the same (not really helpful)
4. Listen to your tailor. (and who might that be?)
5. More elaborate pattern, less often to wear. (not bad advice)
6. Try to take the suit outside in the daylight. (now what stores allow this?)
7. Reputable shops offer tailoring. (again not really helpful)
8. Dont order suits online. (why not, if you know your size.)
9. a 3 piece suit means business. (good advice)

So this bring me back to the title of my post. Where are these great tailors. The average person, meaning you and I, have to go down the street to our local cleaners in order to receive a sub par alteration. Meaning the changes made to your garment never seem to truly fit your body, and they end up costing you more in alterations than what the suit was actually worth. The art of the masterful tailor is long gone. No longer do you get sons following in their father's foot steps in order to one day become that master tailor. Nowadays we are comfortable buying that box cut suit off the rack and hoping like crazy that it fits.

A great tailor is like a virtuous woman, when God blesses me with the location of one, I intend to marry them for life.

1 comment:

Sebastian said...

I found a good tailor in Chicago, Boguslaw.

I was also lucky enough to find an alterations person at a neighborhood dry cleaner. For the average clothes-wearing guy, this person is your salvation. I've had things let out, taken in, and had dress slacks made into dress shorts. The next thing I'm going to take to her are my Cubs and White Sox jerseys. I want them to put a number "42" on the back.